Tax Tips…
Important Tax Reminders from the IRS

Listed below are important reminders and other items that may help you file your tax return.

  • Write in Your Social Security Number – To protect your privacy, Social Security numbers (SSN's) are not printed on the peel-off label that comes in the mail with your tax instruction booklet. This means you must enter your SSN in the space provided on your tax form. Enter your names and SSN's in the same order as on your previous return.
  • Taxpayer Identification Numbers – You must provide the taxpayer identification number for each person for whom you claim certain tax benefits. Generally, this number is the person's Social Security number (SSN).
  • Child Tax Credit - You may be able to claim a tax credit for each of your qualifying children under age 17 at the end of the year. This credit can be as much as $1,000 for each qualifying child.
  • Individual Retirement Arrangement (IRA) for Spouse – A married couple filing a joint return can contribute up to the maximum amount each to their IRA's, even if one spouse had little or no income.
  • Spouse Covered by Plan – Even if your spouse is covered by an employer-sponsored retirement plan, you may be able to deduct contributions to your traditional IRA if you are not covered by an employer plan.
  • Joint Return Responsibility – Generally, both spouses are responsible for the tax and any interest or penalties on a joint tax return. In some cases, one spouse may be relieved of that responsibility for items of the other spouse that were incorrectly reported on the joint return.
  • Include Your Phone Number on Your Return – To promptly resolve any questions we have in processing your tax return, we would like to be able to call you. Please enter your daytime telephone number on your tax form next to your signature.
  • Payment of Taxes – Make your check or money order payable to "United States Treasury." You can pay your taxes by credit card or, if you file electronically, by electronic funds withdrawal.
  • Faster Ways to File Your Return – The IRS offers fast, accurate ways to file your tax return information without filing a paper tax return. You can use IRS e-file (electronic filing).
  • Private Delivery Services – You may be able to use a designated private delivery service to mail your tax returns and payments.
  • Refund on a Late Filed Return – If you were due a refund but you did not file a return, you generally must file within 3 years from the date the return was originally due to get that refund.
  • Privacy Act and Paperwork Reduction Information – The IRS Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, the Privacy Act of 1974, and the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1980 require that when we ask you for information we must first tell you what our legal right is to ask for the information, why we are asking for it, how it will be used, what could happen if we do not receive it, and whether your response is voluntary, required to obtain a benefit, or mandatory under the law.
  • Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration – If you want to confidentially report misconduct, waste, fraud, or abuse by an IRS employee, you can call 1-800-366-4484 (1-800- 877-8339 for TTY/TDD users). You can remain anonymous.